Link Domain Data, Filters and Services for Westland/WP Faust Library
Libraries maintain some of the richest descriptive metadata, curated content, and services in the world. For the Web to connect with libraries, we must share in a way the Web understands. The following icons are used to represent the types of data Libraries publish to the Web.
Bibframe Resource Types
Bibframe resource types provide common control points to connect data in the Library and across the Web. The following types are derived from a Library catalog.
- An Agent resource
- An Annotation resource
- A Category resource
- A Collection resource
- A Concept resource
- An Event such as Copyright or Publication event
- A Family resource
- A Form resource
- An Instance resource
- An Item resource
- A Meeting resource
- An Organization resource
- A Person resource
- A Place resource
- A Series resource
- A Temporal resource
- A Topic resource
- A Work resource
Specific Work (concept) types include:
- A MovingImage resource
- A Books resource
- A LanguageMaterial resource
- A MixedMaterials resource
- A StillImage resource
- A Audio resource
- A Sounds resource
- A Nonmusical resource
- A VisualMaterials resource
- A ComputerFiles resource
- A Software resource
- A ContinuingResources resource
- A Music resource
- A NotatedMusic resource
- A Cartography resource
- A Musical resource
- A Multimedia resource
- A ThreeDimensionalObject resource
- A Kit resource
Specific Instance (carrier) types include:
- A Map resource
- A Electronic resource
- A Globe resource
- A Tactile Material resource
- A Projected Graphic resource
- A Microform resource
- A Nonprojected Graphic resource
- A Motion Picture resource
- A Kit resource
- A Notated Music resource
- A Sound Recording resource
- A Print resource
- A Video Recording resource
Item types are aggregate types based on specific combinations of Work (Content) and Instance (Carrier). Item types include:
The Web was not the first proposed system for widespread dissemination on a network, but it succeeded where many other initiatives failed. The Web won out because of its very simple protocol (HTTP), simple addressing mechanism (URL) and very simple (and permissive) content format (HTML). Libraries are now through the Library.Link Network funneling more such content to the Web than any other single event. This content also happens to be enriched with data, but that fact should not detract from the basic character of the Web.
The Library.Link network offers this enriched data as a service, but in order to handle the unprecedented scale of what we're doing, we rely on the most basic principles of Web architecture, which are the reasons for its success. We organize the interface to this content and rich data into a handful of resource types, based on prevailing access patterns within libraries, with a handful of filters within each type. We have undertaken this design with a lot of consideration for how the work of building applications on library resources can be best balanced across publishing, syndication and subscription. Incidentally, we hope more projects recognize that this is the right-sized and best proven approach to Web "APIs".
Type filters follow the simple pattern of
The following are the set Type filters currently available
- Returns the list of URI, label pairs for all of the resources of a particular type
- Resource types include any Bibframe Resource Type such as Person, Place, Family, Work, etc. The full list of Items can accessed with the resource type Portal.
Each resource on a Libraries Link Domain has a Local Link Identifier that you obtain by appending its ID (such as B4gN9Duqv3s) to the Library's Link domain namespace: http://westland.library.link/resource/
For example, the Local Link Identifier for Rowling, J. K. is http://westland.library.link/resource/B4gN9Duqv3s/. Note that this identifier refers to the real-world person. However, it is possible to use this Identifer to access data about Rowling, J. K. by simply using it as a URL.
Data Filters over resources follow the simple pattern of
The following are the set Resource filters currently available
- Returns the Resource
- Returns the carousel of items related to the Category
- Returns the carousel of items related to the Concept
- Returns the carousel of items related to the Authority
- Returns the carousel of items related to the Agent
- Returns the carousel of items that are members of the Collection
- Returns the carousel of items related to the Place
- Returns the carousel of items that are related to the Work
- Returns the carousel of items that are related to the Event
- Returns the Library locations that offer the Item.
Items are a special type of Resource. An item in a Libraries Link Domain has a Local Link Identifier that you obtain by appending its ID (such as D5Pq8-7u4w8) to the Library's Link domain namespace: http://westland.library.link/portal/-/
Data Filters over items follow the simple pattern of
Data Filters over items include all of the Resource Data Filters and the following
Each resource on a Libraries Link Domain has a Local Link Identifier. Some of these resources are known by additional community or vendor supplied identifiers such as an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) or a control number assigned by a Library vendor. Identifier Resolver and Mapping services are provided to make it easier to access these Local Link resources by these additional identifiers.
Identifier Resolvers are provided by the Libraries Link Domain to more easily access Library.Link resources directly and accelerate the data consumption by 3rd party applications.Identifier Resolvers follow the simple pattern of
The following are the set Identifier Resolvers currently available.
- Returns a redirect to the resource that is additionally known by the ISBN number 9780312938994.
Identifier Mappings are provided to accelerate access to Local Link resources by 3rd party applications. These mappings include key, value mappings that map identifiers to Local Link resources. Identifier Mappings follow the simple pattern of
The following are the set Identifier Mappings currently available.
- Returns the complete list of ISBN identifier to Library.Link local identifier mappings.
- Returns the complete list of LCCN identifier to Library.Link local identifier mappings.
- Returns the complete list of Record identifier to Library.Link local identifier mappings.
- Returns the complete list of System identifier to Library.Link local identifier mappings.
- Returns the complete list of Publisher identifiers to Library.Link local identifier mappings.